This is what I spent yesterday afternoon doing….
Yup. You’re right. It is what it looks like.
I managed to set aside some time yesterday afternoon to get on with the quilting on Rachel’s quilt. Up till now I’ve had really positive experiences quilting with my Bernina 820, but I had heard that these machines are a little er…. highly strung and temperamental. Well, I can now confirm that my Bernina REALLY DOES NOT LIKE Aurifil Aurilux thread.
I’ve used Madeira rayon threads for quilting, with absolutely no problems whatsoever, so it didn’t even cross my mind that the Aurifil might not work. After a couple of hours of fraying, snapping, (and that was only my nerves!) and threads that were causing the machine to seize up, I had to admit defeat. I tried every possible way to adjust the tension, to coax and baby the machine along, but it was just not a goer. Threads snapping every 20cm does not make for nice quilting (or a happy quilter!).
So I spend yesterday afternoon and evening pulling everything out that I’d done – wondering why on earth I’d kept trying for so long and why I hadn’t used a longer stitch length that would have made it so much easier.
Such a shame. The Aurifil is a really pretty thread. I’m now going to have another attempt – this time with plain boring 100% cotton which, fingers crossed, should go tickety boo.
At least I hope so. I can’t stand more stress. This is supposed to be pleasure!