I’m going to be taking part in a new bee that’s starting up very soon, but as it’s all very hush-hush at the moment, I can’t really tell you much about it. Part of what I’ll be doing is making wonky stars – something I’ve never done before – despite being the patchwork star queen. Wonky is a new adventure for me.
There’s a very nice tutorial here that got me going in the right direction.
I started out using some left over Amelia and a bit of white muslin that was lying around.
Lesson learned: muslin isn’t a good idea. It doesn’t have a tight enough weave and it moves and stretches, so although this looks OK from a distance I wasn’t all that happy with it.
I then moved on to using divine ash Kona cotton as a background, together with some bright patterns that I picked up in Canada a couple of years ago. Aaaah, much better! As you can see I’m diddling around and trying out different sizes. This is heading towards being a table runner, which is something I’ve wanted to make for ages.
Normally I have a really hard time cutting into lovely new lengths of fabric unless I’m embarking on a big project. It takes a lot for me to make a first cut, it really does. I’m always plagued by thoughts of ‘what if I waste this and then I haven’t got enough when I really, really need it’, which just ends up in an absolute block and my scissors won’t go there at all.
Today the sun was shining again and I felt a tiny bit radical – it must have been all that wonkiness getting to me, because I really did cast cares to the wind and dive right in.
And it felt really good!